Answers to three important questions about Toastmasters Evaluation Contest
Extract from Andrew Dlugan’s Speech Analysis #5: Toastmasters Evaluation Contests
Why have Toastmasters Evaluation Contests?
- To encourage development of evaluation skills and to recognize the best as encouragement to all.
- To provide an opportunity to learn by observing the more proficient evaluators who have benefited from their Toastmasters training.
Why Should I Attend a Toastmasters Evaluation Contest?
- Contests are entertaining.
- You can learn from the test speaker.
- Contestants are generally proficient in the art of evaluation.
- The variety of approaches and analytical observations will surely complement your existing evaluation skills.
Why Should I Compete in a Toastmasters Evaluation Contest?
- You will have fun!
- The added pressure of a contest forces you to step outside your speaking comfort zone. By doing so, you will grow, not just as an evaluator, but as a speaker as well.
- You will learn new techniques from the other contestants.
- You might win!