Welcome to Peninsula Toastmasters Club #174! Your decision to join our club will advance your communication and leadership skills. Your growth will depend on your participation in our club and commitment to completing the communication and leadership programs made available through Toastmasters International. Here are some reminders and tips for you to keep in mind as a new member of our club. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to speak with our Vice President of Education, or any of our club officers.
- When you signed up, you provided us with an application and membership payment. This information has been processed and submitted to Toastmasters International. Within a week or two, you will receive a packet of information that will include a Competent Communicator and Competent Leader Manual.
- You will be voted in as a member of our club and inducted as a new member.
- You will be assigned a mentor from the club, who will work with you in navigating the Toastmasters program and our club. Your mentor will schedule a time for you to meet or talk.
- Upon joining, you were given a copy of the first speech from the Competent Communicator Manual, which is the Ice Breaker Speech. We will work with you to ensure that you give your first speech within the first three weeks that you joined. Here is a link to a PDF version of the Icebreaker Speech: 1167F Ice Breaker. We also have some documents for new members click on the New Member Document and Resources tab on the website to access them.
- Be prepared to participate as a functionary at our meetings (Timer, Ah-Counter, Grammarian, Ballot Counter, etc.). Information about these roles are available in your manual. You will gain hands on experience by participating in our meetings.
- The Vice President of Education is responsible for coordinating and managing our meeting schedules. You will be assigned a mentor from the club, who will work with you in navigating the Toastmasters program and our club. Your mentor will schedule a time for you to meet or talk. If you cannot make a meeting and have been assigned a role, please work with the club to find your replacement. It is always helpful to notify the Vice President of Education in advance if you cannot make a meeting.
When you become a member, you will receive communications about meetings and other information on a regular basis. Our club uses Google Apps in which we are able to assign you an email to use. We store our club documents and use Google Calendar to send out schedules.
Feel free to ask any of the club officers if you have any questions. Welcome again to Peninsula Toastmasters!